My Robot Store

My Robot Store
This is my robot store! Click on picture above for more information

Friday, August 1, 2014

My 3D Printed Humanoid Robot Boomer in Action

The videos where taken by Shibata Yoshihiro at the Kansas City Maker Faire 2014.

As you can see in the videos the robot is fully functional. It has sensors to avoid obstacles in front of it and it can also get up by itself if it falls down. 

You would not know that it was 3D printed unless I told you. Which is the goal of my project. 

The total cost of the robot is about 1,000.00 USD and it is an open source project.

Link to my instructable.

"This STEAM project was born from my first 3D printed Humanoid robot project. My 3D printed DARwIn-OP clone. I learned a lot when doing this project and I am still working on making this robot better. My project had one major flaw though. At 7000.00 to 8000.00 USD per robot few people could duplicate my project. After thinking about this problem and seeing the work being done on Jimmy the 21st century robot and the Robosavvy Humanoid Robot design contest. I decided to start this new project. Next I decided to break it down in steps to make it easier on myself. Step one: use as much off the shelf parts as I could to get the robot up and working. Step two: Find ways to improve the robot and make it cheaper. Step three: Experiment with and open source the project to see if other people could duplicate the project. As this was one of the major goals of the project to make humanoid robots cheaper and more accessible to the public. I think 3d printing of robots is also a great example of a STEAM based education project as it includes all elements of STEAM into one project.."

As far as I know this is the only working 3D printed robot in the world!

My future goals for this project are to find ways to make it cheaper and to increase its capabilities. I am running this project in combination with and parallel with my other two 3d printed robot project.  My DARwIn-OP clone and my DARWIN-MINI clone. 











No comments:

Post a Comment